Without a doubt the Jeep Willys MB occupies a significant position in the whole automotive history. The origin of the Jeep vehicle dates back to early 1941, when U.S. Forces ordered the Willys, Ford and Bantam companies to develop protypes of a small sized multi-purpose 4-wheel drive vehicle. During the early stage of WW2, Germany had achieved outstanding successes by using motorized troops with their “Blitzkrieg” tactics. It became a pressing need for allied nations to posses tough and reliable vehicles with excellent cross-country ability. In November 1941, the Army, with alterations on the front grille and hood to the Ford design, choose the Willy’s vehicle as the basis for the mass production model. This marked the birth of the Willys MB (Model B) that provided unmatched ability to transport Allied troops during the conflict. The early Willys MB had a welded, slat type front grille. Due to the necessity of increasing production, the Army ordered Ford to join the mass production, using the Willys MB’s blueprints. It was designated the GPW, and a simple, pressed steel front grille was introduced. During WW2, the Willys MB and Ford GPW ran over every battlefield. As a means of transit for soliders, it played an important role in bringing the Allied victory. It was also used for liaison, command, communication and sometimes even as an ambulance or a light firearms carrier. Production reached approximately 640,000 units by August 1945.
This features on the “Village Street” diorama.